Amanda-Users

Re: Changing User when using RPMs

2005-11-28 22:00:47
Subject: Re: Changing User when using RPMs
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:51:40 -0500
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 07:35:53PM -0700, Broderick Wood enlightened us:
> My resistance comes from the fact that we have been using AMANDA for about
> 2 years whereas we have had a user called "amanda" for about 15 years...
>
> I also don't want to do a source build as we are maintaining about 500+
> machines in varying state of OS version/patch/etc...
>
> We use CfEngine to push out our localizations so I can fairly easily push a
> RPM to a machine and have been doing so which works fine except for TAR
> backups which is where I run into the hard-coded problem.
>

> So I am building a custom RPM and we'll see how that goes...  There goes
> the easy maintenance of YUM and such for updating it...

One of the suggestions from a *BSD person was to follow the same convention
of naming system accounts _username instead of username, so that when Amanda
Smith has an account on your system as amanda, you don't collide. I believe
that's in a bugzilla on redhat's site, you might voice your opinion there if
that is something you'd be interested in.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics