Amanda-Users

Re: Trouble loggin in as "amanda"

2005-11-26 15:02:25
Subject: Re: Trouble loggin in as "amanda"
From: mindfuq AT verizon DOT net
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:53:41 -0700
* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> [2005-11-26 11:36]:

> However, here, I can as root, do an su amanda and become amanda to
> the whois command, so there may be something else at work as I do
> not have to supply the amanda passwd to become amanda from root.

I installed amanda from gentoo 2005 using portage.  The password file
contains this line:

amanda:x:87:87:added by portage for amanda:/var/spool/amanda:/bin/false

so it turns out to be the shell.  I changed /bin/false to /bin/bash,
and I can now "su" to amanda.