Amanda-Users

Trouble with level 0 backup on new Amanda install

2005-11-23 00:15:59
Subject: Trouble with level 0 backup on new Amanda install
From: Joseph Filla <jfilla AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:56:03 -0800 (PST)
Good day,

I have a new amanda install that is somewhat working
but not to my satisfaction. My relavant specs:

OS: Fedora Core 4
Amanda: 2.4.5
Tape Drive: Exabyte vxa-2
Tapes: v23 and their replacement x23
define tapetype V23 {
    comment "Exabyte v23 on non-rewinding device
produced by tapetype (HW Comp off)"
    length 75648 mbytes
    filemark 2853 kbytes
    speed 4277 kps
}

dumpcycle 14 days
runspercycle 14 days
tapecycle 16 tapes

My holding disk is actually a directory in my home
directory.

define dumptype my-default {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "My User Data"
    compress server best
    priority high
    record yes
    index yes
    exclude list
"/etc/amanda/DailySet1/am_excl_filelist"
}

Things run well until my ~70GB /home partition is
backed up. It seems (??) amanda chokes on the size,
because when I ran DailySet104, /home only was dumped
(level 0) and it succeeded. When DailySet105 ran, the
level 0 of /home again failed (why another level 0 so
quickly in the cycle?) Same with DailySet106.

These dumps were to tape DailySet103.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file:
Input/output error]]. Some dumps may have been left in
the holding disk. Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  rome.local /home lev 0 FAILED ["data write:
Connection reset by  peer"]
  rome.local /home lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
  rome.local /home lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

These dumps were to tape DailySet104.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

These dumps were to tape DailySet105.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space
left on device]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

[SNIP!]

NOTES:
  planner: Full dump of rome.local:/home promoted from
13 days ahead.
  taper: tape DailySet105 kb 45583520 fm 5 writing
file: No space left on device

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  rome.local /home lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
  rome.local /home lev 0 FAILED ["data write:
Connection reset by  peer"]

These dumps were to tape DailySet106.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file:
Input/output error]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  rome.local /home lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
  rome.local /home lev 0 FAILED ["data write:
Connection reset by peer"]

Why is amanda choking on the level 0 on my /home?

Thanks!

Joe F

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs