Amanda-Users

Re: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

2005-11-22 11:02:03
Subject: Re: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Nader Amadeu <nader AT chemie.fu-berlin DOT de>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:48:52 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 at 11:08pm, Nader Amadeu wrote

this error was already extensively reported, but i have to do it again :-)
I installed amanda 2.4.5 on FreeBSD 5.3 to backup the main HD to a second
HD of my machine (so both amanda server and client where installed).
I created a configuration called kenai and typed:

SHELL: amcheck kenai
    .
    .  (server check ok)
    .
 Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
 --------------------------------
 WARNING: kenai.chemie.fu-berlin.de: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?

*snip*

I overchecked the files
.../config/kenai/disklist (this uses the full qualified hostname),
/etc/inetd.conf (inetd restarted),

FreeBSD still uses inetd rather than xinetd?  Wow.

/etc/services, /etc/amandahosts, ~/.rhosts (from proper user).

My /tmp/amcheck.20051121214741.debug file has:

*snip*

As the error is on the client side, i think the changer
problems shouldnt be important. But are the only error message i have.

There's no /tmp/amanda*debug (or /tmp/amanda/amanda*debug)? In that case, it can't even talk to the "server". Are you using TCP wrappers? Any firewall issues?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering