Amanda-Users

Re: newbie Q: DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

2005-11-19 20:54:13
Subject: Re: newbie Q: DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
From: Yan Seiner <yan AT seiner DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:30:12 -0800
Christoph wrote:

2.) the main reason for the error above:
you are trying to use dump to backup the subdirectory /home/mysql.
Dump is designed to work on complete devices, like /dev/hda1 or so,
it can not do what you ask it for, and exactly that it is telling you.

easy solution:

use tar to dump your directory, add in your amada.conf in the dumptype
for that directory the line

program "GNUTAR"

Thanks everyone.  That in fact was the problem....

amanda is now working fine. Unfortunately, my tape drive seems to have died.... :-(

At least I got one good backup out of it....

--Yan