Amanda-Users

Problems with canonical names from an ADSL provider

2005-11-13 21:30:21
Subject: Problems with canonical names from an ADSL provider
From: David Leangen <amanda AT leangen DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:01:13 +0900
Hello!

This may be slightly beyond the scope of Amanda, but I thought I'd try
asking anyway...

Both my Amanda server and (one) backup host are connected to the
Internet via ADSL. It seems that when Amanda on the backup host does a
DNS lookup for my Amanda server, it sees something like:

  amanda AT some.really.long DOT and.annoying.hostname

which is generated by my ISP.

Now, since I have a static IP address, the really-long-and-annoying-
hostname shouldn't change. However, I would much rather use the server's
actual hostname (amanda.mydomain.com) instead.

Is there some simple way of working around this? Or am I stuck with the
really-long-and-annoying-hostname unless I do something complicated like
implementing my own DNS lookup server or something like that?

Thanks for any advice you can give me...

Dave