Amanda-Users

Re: DAMN! I'm getting the Host down error -Thanks

2005-11-04 09:04:37
Subject: Re: DAMN! I'm getting the Host down error -Thanks
From: todd zenker <todd.e.zenker.1 AT gsfc.nasa DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:41:32 -0500
Stefan,

I tried you're example and other examples for the xinetd.conf file and
nothing worked.  I'm thinking the OS is a bit old and needs upgrading.
(Redhat 7 and Redhat 8)
Old version of amanda 2.4.4p1 worked.
Maybe I'll try 2.4.4p4

Thanks again.

-todd

At 04:09 PM 11/2/2005, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> todd zenker wrote:
>
>>Greetings.
>>
>>I just installed 2.4.5 on a linux box(RedHat 9).
>>(Version 2.4.4p1 was working fine)
>>I'm getting an error Host down.
>>On the system log I noticed an error
>>"Deactivating service amanda due to excessive incoming connections"
>>I change the xinetd.conf to allow 500 connections.  Didn't work.
>>
>>There is no firewall.
>>I need a check list of things to look for.  My .amandahosts file has
>>every instances that I can think of.
>

> This sounds more like a xinetd-related issue than a amanda-related one.
> Please let us know some more details of your setup. Are there many
> clients? How many? And are there very much DLEs as well?

Found something else in the archives (yes, I do look them up ;-) ):

Recheck your /etc/xinetd.d-entries for the amanda-relevant files, and
also recheck the "server = ... " lines for proper paths.

Maybe you have installed the new binaries to another path and missed to
adjust the xinetd-files.

Also check the "also_from = ..." lines for proper setup.

No need to say you need to restart xinetd after any changes...

Stefan.

Todd Zenker
NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center