Amanda-Users

Re: amflush onto tape

2005-11-03 04:26:12
Subject: Re: amflush onto tape
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: magic99de AT web DOT de
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:20:10 +0700 (ICT)
Stefan,

> i.e. its impossible to say to amanda to flush some backups on the
> holding disk to the _current_ tape ?

I am not sure what you call the current tape, amanda is a sort of
batch processing, you order a job, it uses one tape for that job, and
then the next job goes on the next tape.

The case that often happens to me:

Monday amanda dumps on tape 1

Tuesday is holiday, dumps to holding disk

Wednesday is holiday, dumps to holding disk

Thursday first thing, I amflush, it writes onto the tape number 2 the
dumps of Tuesday and Wednesday
Later on Tuesday i do a normal amanda dump that use tape 3

And in fact I don't really care what tape is being used, if I need to
recover something amanda will look through the index and telll me what
tape I need.

Olivier