Amanda-Users

Re: 2.4.5: dumping directly to tape failure: no retry?

2005-11-01 16:11:38
Subject: Re: 2.4.5: dumping directly to tape failure: no retry?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:01:20 -0500
On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 02:55:28PM -0500, Scott R. Burns wrote:
> I observed this same issue with:
>
> 2.4.4p4
> NetBSD/i386
> HP DAT24*6
>
> My last DLE was > than the remaining tape, but would fit entirely on the
> next empty tape in the changer as it was the only remaining DLE. It was
> reported as retrying but never did. In this case my holding space was < the
> compressed size of this DLE but it would fit onto tape.

So it was writing direct to tape.  And after the initial failure
did not retry.  Sounds like the same situation Jeff Allison
describes in the thread "spanning tapes".

> Ultimately I found enough drive space to reserve for a holding space > than
> this DLE size but I would like to gain that back if this issue could be
> fixed.

I wonder what is the best approach to a "failed" dump.  Note, it is
not a failed taping such as would occur if the taping were coming
from the holding disk.  The reason for the dump failure was tape
related, but the dump did fail.

Is it reasonable to restart the entire dump of the DLE?
Are there any other "dump" failures that are retried?

GH pointed out that Jeff's total dump time was over 15 hours.
As the failed DLE was the only large (and I think only remote)
DLE, most of those 15 hours were spent on the one dump.  Should
another 15 hours be expended on the retry of a failed dump?

Just soliciting opinions.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)