Amanda-Users

Re: problems backuping root partition with dump on FC3

2005-10-26 19:19:48
Subject: Re: problems backuping root partition with dump on FC3
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:14:37 -0400
On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 11:53:16AM -0700, Chris Marble wrote:

> > the /dev/sdb2 is mounted on / partition
> > but instead of using /dev/sdb2 it uses /dev/root for backup
> > here is the right of the two devices
> >
> > brw-------  1 root root 8, 18 avr  1 16:48 /dev/root
> > brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 18 avr  1 16:48 /dev/sdb2
>
> Did you ever get a solution to this problem?  I've done a chgrp disk
> and chmod g+r on /dev/root but that only helps until the next reboot.
> The other partitions are fine.
> Client is 2.4.5 and server is 2.4.4p1
> Client OS is CentOS 4.2

On my FC3 /dev/root is a symbolic link to the root partition.
Might that be persistant across reboot?

Under /etc, where I'd expect nearly anything related to devices
and booting, the only referenced I find to /dev/root are under
/etc/selinux.  Do you have secure linux enabled and might there
be some setting for that system that is recreating /dev/root?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)