Amanda-Users

Re: ERROR: snowcone.tonservices.com: [host godzilla.tonservices.com: port 10105 not secure]

2005-10-26 00:47:46
Subject: Re: ERROR: snowcone.tonservices.com: [host godzilla.tonservices.com: port 10105 not secure]
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:42:17 -0400
On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 05:54:34PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just compiled a version of amanda w/ '--tcpportrange 10080,10180 and'
> '--udpportrange 10080,10180'.  Unfortunately it does not seem to have worked.
> I get the error:
>
> ERROR: zena.tonservices.com: [host godzilla.tonservices.com: port 10129 \
> not secure]
>
> (this is repeated for all hosts).
>
> I read the portusage doc on the amanda website and thought it said that the
> way amanda worked was to first use the ports that i specified, and then fall
> back on a secure port, and then try any port.  Am I misunderstanding this?
> Can I get by w/ these ports or is there no way?
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron Matheson
>
> P.S. I realize that the udp is probably more optimally placed under 1024, but
> I don't have control over the corporate firewall.  I could try to get them
> to change that again if absolutele necessary... although it's quite a mess
> so if there is a way to get around that it would be lovely.

I've not set up port-ranges, but the document seems pretty emphatic
about the need for udp ports in the priveleged range.

                          ...       so a user UDP port range
    (--with-udpportrange) must specify privileged port numbers.

    A user UDP port range must allow for one port for each client that
    might be contacted at a time.    ...

    User UDP port range (--with-udpportrange) summary

    Allocate at least "inparallel" many ports in the privileged (1023 or
    smaller) range.  Stay away from other well known ports (e.g. in your
    /etc/services file) or account for their potential use by making the
    portrange larger.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)