Amanda-Users

RE: Generating disklist for large filesystems.

2005-10-21 17:38:03
Subject: RE: Generating disklist for large filesystems.
From: "Lengyel, Florian" <FLengyel AT gc.cuny DOT edu>
To: "Alan Jedlow" <jedlow AT u.washington DOT edu>, "Amanda Users List" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:25:53 -0400

I use a script documented here:

http://research.gc.cuny.edu/index.php/Amanda_configuration_notes_for_the_Spectra_Logic_2K

the script is invoked from crontab to define a DLE for each of my home directories on a computational cluster. This may not be sophisticated enough for your purposes,
since I don't have multiple tape types; nevertheless, I read in the fixed portion
of my disklist for my backup from a file called "disklist.ini" and scan my home
partition to generate DLEs for each user home directory the script finds.

The previous disklist is saved with the date and time appended. The procedure is
called once before each amcheck and amdump  (since user directories may be added
or deleted at will), and disklists older than 5 days are deleted.

This will work if you set quotas such that each user home directory is allocated
no more than the maximum amount of space you can back up to a single tape. This is not
an unreasonable assumption for many systems.