Amanda-Users

Weird dumpsize problem (symlinks??)

2005-10-24 04:49:30
Subject: Weird dumpsize problem (symlinks??)
From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst AT barrett.com DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:21:17 +1000
all,

I have got a weird problem and cant figure out whats wrong.

I get an error during a dump:

  FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
    lalalalala /samba lev 1 FAILED [dump larger than tape, 10101550 KB,
skipping incremental]

so that means its 10.1GB, correct? (The tape is only 4/8gb, but thats not the
questions here).

Yet when I do a "du -s ." inside that /samba directory:

  [root@lalalalala /samba] #>du -s .
  5.3G    .

Thats HALF of what amanda is trying to backup!
I have no idea where the 5GB comes from amanda is trying to dump.

Does Amanda follow symlinks? I thought it does not!

I have two symlinks in there, which COULD encount for the incorrect sizes:

   [root@lalalalala /samba] #>find -lname "*" -exec ls -la {} \;
   lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 6 Oct  8 17:20 ./Shares/SysAdmins/home -> /home/
   lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 Oct  8 17:20 ./Shares/SysAdmins/Profiles ->
/samba/Profiles/

I use these (if I am on a windows box and logged in as SysAdmin)
to fiddle with users profiles or with users home directories.

--
Computers run on smoke, once the smoke gets out they don't work anymore!

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia