Amanda-Users

Re: Some Questions about holding disks and compression

2005-10-21 08:51:05
Subject: Re: Some Questions about holding disks and compression
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jeff Allison <jeff.allison AT allygray.2y DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:47:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 at 10:22pm, Jeff Allison wrote

Most of the disk that I back up are on the same server that the backups are running on, I'm using comp user tar for most of them, I only have a small holding disk 4GB that most DLE's will fit on but three of them will not.

What I really want to know is does using client or server compression make any difference on local DLE's and if the DLE will not fit on the holding disk should I use "holding disk no".

For local DLEs client=server, so the end result of either will be the same. And, if the DLE won't fit on the holding disk, amanda won't try, so saying 'holding disk no' won't make much of a difference.

The one caveat to the above statement is for new DLEs. Amanda assumes a 50% compression ratio for new DLEs. So if 50% of the estimate size will fit in the holding disk, amanda will try to do that. If the actual compression ratio differs, it may run out of room and have to start over straight to tape. You can adjust amanda's initial guess at the compression ratio by using 'comprate' in the dumptype.

Also two of my DLE's are the data dirs of server systems that should really be shut down while the backup is in progress, is Amanda capable of this???

There are 2 ways to do this. The first (coarse grained, but easier) way is to have cron call a script rather than amdump directly. The script would shut down the data dirs, run amdump, and then start the data dirs back up when amdump is done. The obvious disadvantage is that the data dirs are down the whole time amdump is running, not just when they're actually being backed up.

The other (more fine grained, but trickier) way is to have amanda call scripts on those clients rather than dump/tar directly. Those scripts would then do the data dir shutdown/backup/restart dance.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering