Amanda-Users

Some Questions about holding disks and compression

2005-10-21 08:31:24
Subject: Some Questions about holding disks and compression
From: Jeff Allison <jeff.allison AT allygray.2y DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:22:07 +1000
Hi All

I've got Amanda running at home quite well now as a test prior to using it at work but I still have a couple of questions...

Most of the disk that I back up are on the same server that the backups are running on, I'm using comp user tar for most of them, I only have a small holding disk 4GB that most DLE's will fit on but three of them will not.

What I really want to know is does using client or server compression make any difference on local DLE's and if the DLE will not fit on the holding disk should I use "holding disk no".

Also two of my DLE's are the data dirs of server systems that should really be shut down while the backup is in progress, is Amanda capable of this???

TIA

Jeff