Amanda-Users

Re: Sony AIT LIB-81 and Amanda

2005-10-17 10:28:57
Subject: Re: Sony AIT LIB-81 and Amanda
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Urs Steiner, iET SA" <us AT iet DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:19:38 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 at 3:40pm, Urs Steiner, iET SA wrote

we just received a new tape library and I should install it and begin to make backups with it.

As this is my first tape library I dont have the faintest idea how to handle something like that :-).

Has anybody the LIB-81 (with AIT-4 tapes) by Sony or something similar in use with amanda and can give me some pointers on how to setup this thing from the amanda side (i.e tape size, device name, etc)?

You don't mention your OS, but here's some general advice. You'll likely want to use mtx to talk to the changer. The changer will be a separate SCSI device than the tape drive(s). chg-zd-mtx will work well as a change script. It's self-documented.

We probably want to have some daily backups on a weekly rotation (tu-sa morning -> 5tapes) and also do some weekly/monthly backups to keep off site.

For general amanda getting started questions, "the chapter" at <http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html> is a good place to look, as is the documentation on the amanda site itself. Play around, and come back if/when you hit questions you can't answer.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering