Amanda-Users

Re: "Will retry" behavior

2005-08-30 19:23:32
Subject: Re: "Will retry" behavior
From: "Vera" <dobryanskaya AT adelphia DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:09:19 -0600
wrote:

Here is the problem. For the full dumps we use 4 tapes (40G) on a run. "Short" filesystems are copied over without any problems, problems start with big filesystems. Surprizingly, we found out that only 3 tapes were used, but 2 "big" FS failed to go on tape, because there were "no space left".
Someone recently posted a patch that delays taping until all dumps are
collected in the holding disk.  Then the largest fit algorithm should
make optimal use of your tapes.  But of course you need sufficient
holding disk.

Jon,

thank you.

The major problem we are facing is the free HDD space available - it is definitely insufficient to hold all disks. Unfortunately it is not going to get better in the foreseeable future.

IIRC there is a DLE parameter to delay, or don't start until.  Perhaps
you could delay smaller DLEs.

Do you mean just assigning the order in which dumps are created (and eventually, dumped to tapes)? So, basically, if we have, 16 FS, and 4 of them are large, then probably delaying 1 big and 3 small FS by couple hours would work?

In this case first 4 FS are recorded to the first tape, then next 4 are started (retried to the next tape in the case if "tape is over"), etc.?

Do you think it would work?

Multiple archive configs, with the same index and tape lists might be used.
Perhaps then the large DLEs could be done by themselves or each with just
a few smaller DLEs delayed.
do not really want to do multiple configs. :(

JG Computing
4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
Princeton, NJ 08540-4322 (609) 683-7220 (fax)