Amanda-Users

Re: Help restoring

2005-08-30 13:55:31
Subject: Re: Help restoring
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:46:00 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 05:59:26PM +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

BTW, I think the device you are using "/dev/tape" is the rewind
on close device.  Thus after the first dd ... count=1 command
the tape probably rewinds to the beginning of the tape.
/dev/ntape is likely the "leave the tape where it is" device.

As to the other suggestions, my /dev/tape ls symlinked to /dev/nst0, so is
not rewinding.

Typically 'tape' references st0 and 'ntape' references nst0.

...and anyway, if you really used the non-rewinding device, the sequence of commands that you posted should have worked. If you want to get to the bottom of things, try to verify whether indeed /dev/tape rewinds, or not.

I'd suggest something like
dd if=/dev/tape bs=32k count=1 | head -2
(which should give you an amanda tape file header)
dd if=/dev/tape bs=32k count=1 | file -z -
(which should tell you that you have a gzip compressed tar archive)
If this is not the case, you might really use the rewinding device; in that case, try to find out why that's the case. You really don't want amanda to use the rewinding one.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29