Amanda-Users

Re: Help restoring

2005-08-26 10:01:23
Subject: Re: Help restoring
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Tony van der Hoff <tony AT vanderhoff DOT org>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:48:27 +0200
Tony van der Hoff wrote:
I'm trying to recover my /etc directory from tape, so in accordance with
docs/RESTORE, I'm doing this:

[root@tony-lx etc]# mt fsf 1 && dd if=/dev/tape bs=32k count=1
AMANDA: FILE 20050821 tony-lx /etc lev 0 comp .gz program /bin/gtar
To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
   dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 | /bin/gzip -dc | bin/gtar -f... -

1+0 records in
1+0 records out
[root@tony-lx etc]# dd if=/dev/tape bs=32k skip=1 | /bin/gzip -dc |
/bin/gtar -xpvf -

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
2+0 records in
1+0 records out

Is /dev/tape rewinding or non-rewinding? You already read the first 32k block in your first command, so if your tape is non-rewinding, the block you are skipping (skip=1) is actually the first real data block. Try without the skip=1, and tell us whether that works.

You might as well specify which OS you are on while you're at it, so that we don't stress our crystal balls too much. :-)

Alex

PS. Are you sure you want to restore directly into /etc, if that's what you're doing?

--
Alexander Jolk  * BUF Compagnie * alexj AT buf DOT com
Tel +33-1 42 68 18 28  *  Fax +33-1 42 68 18 29