Amanda-Users

Re: AW: big Problem with restoring a backup

2005-08-29 09:24:29
Subject: Re: AW: big Problem with restoring a backup
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Sebastian Kösters <skoesters AT sino DOT de>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:00:08 +0200
Sebastian Kösters wrote:
Update:

Amrestore on Backupmachine works.

Amrestore works not.

???
The first thing when disaster strikes is take a cup of coffee.
Then take a deep breath.
Then proceed.  Slowly.

You probably mean amrestore works, amrecover does not.

I tried do restore a backup from one of our servers (an inc with level 0
from 25.08.05))

"inc with level 0" ???

Here my amrecover:

[root@server amanda]# amrecover -s backup -t backup -C config
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.3. Contacting server on backup ...
220 raid-backup AMANDA index server (2.4.4p4) ready.
200 Access OK
Setting restore date to today (2005-08-29)
200 Working date set to 2005-08-29.
200 Config set to config.
501 Host server is not in your disklist.
Trying host server.sino.de ...
501 Host server.sino.de is not in your disklist.
amrecover> sethost server2
200 Dump host set to server2
amrecover> setdisk /var
200 Disk set to /var.
amrecover> setdate 2005-08-25
200 Working date set to 2005-08-25.
amrecover> ls
2005-08-25 .
2005-08-25 cache/
2005-08-25 db/
2005-08-25 empty/
2005-08-25 ftp/
2005-08-25 lib/
2005-08-25 local/
2005-08-25 lock/
2005-08-25 log/
2005-08-25 lost+found/
2005-08-25 mail
2005-08-25 named/
2005-08-25 net-snmp/
2005-08-25 nis/
2005-08-25 opt/
2005-08-25 preserve/
2005-08-25 run/
2005-08-25 spool/
2005-08-25 tmp/
2005-08-25 tux/
2005-08-25 www/
2005-08-25 yp/
amrecover> lpwd
/amanda
amrecover> add lib/
Added dir /lib at date 2005-08-25
amrecover> list
TAPE DailySet104 LEVEL 0 DATE 2005-08-25
        /lib
amrecover> setmode tar
SAMBA dumps will be extracted as TAR dumps

It does not seem like a samba backup, does it?
"setmode tar" is to force a restore with tar instead of smbclient.
No need to use "setmode tar" for a real gnutar backup.
But fine, "forcing a restore with tar" works too for a real gnutar
backup.

amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/config on host backup.
The following tapes are needed: DailySet104

Restoring files into directory /amanda
Continue [?/Y/n]? y

Extracting files using tape drive file:/backup/config on host backup.
Load tape DailySet104 now
Continue [?/Y/n/t]? y
EOF, check amidxtaped.debug file on backup.

What is in the amidxtaped.debug file.

In 99% of these problems there is the simple message: "not at start
of tape".
If yes, you need to rewind the tape (or position the manually just
before the image to be extracted).  This is a requirement for
any tape, even a virtual tape, e.g.:

  amtape file:/backup/config rewind

Alternatively, you may add two options to amanda.conf, so that amanda
does the rewind (and fast positioning) for you:

  amrecover_do_fsf yes
  amrecver_check_label yes

amrecover: short block 0 bytes
UNKNOWN file
amrecover: Can't read file header
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
Continue [?/Y/n]? y

I loaded DailySet104 also manually but it does not work too. For testing i
also recovered another backup with Level 0 and Level 1. At Level 0
(DailySet104) i get se same error. The Level 1 (DailySet106) worked.

How did you "load the manually" when it's a virtual tape?
Probably it just happened that virtual tape DailySet106 was rewound,
but tape DailySet104 was not rewound.

I tried this on 3 different Servers....same error every time. I searched for
amidxtaped.debug but this file does not exist.

On the tapeserver in AMANDA_DBGDIR directory:
        amadmin xx version | grep DBG

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *