Amanda-Users

Re: backing up windows PCs using smb client

2005-08-26 15:42:52
Subject: Re: backing up windows PCs using smb client
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:25:07 -0400
On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:22:37PM -0400, Mangala Gunadasa wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Currently, we are backing up 6 unix servers using amanda. We would like
> to backup our Windows PCs also and were able to use AMANDA to backup C
> and D drives etc... using smbclient. One of our windows experts pointed
> out that backing up C and D drives is not enough and we also need to
> backup windows registry to be able perform a successful restore. When C
> drive is backed up using smbclient, are we also backing up the
> registry?. If not how to do this?.

No, you are not.

First thing, I don't think it is possible to use amanda to backup a pc
to the point that a complete system restore to a blank hard disk can
be done.  Windows prevents smbclient from backing up some system files
and all files currently open.

Specifically for the registry, you can use pc utilities to export a
copy of the registry to an ordinary file.  That file can be backed up
by amanda.  Write a pc script to do such an export and schedule it
to be run just before the amanda backup.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)