Amanda-Users

Re: Question about Amcheck and it's ability to cross physical networks?

2005-08-25 12:52:49
Subject: Re: Question about Amcheck and it's ability to cross physical networks?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: simonian AT library.ucr DOT edu, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:38:07 -0500
--On Thursday, August 25, 2005 09:09:25 -0700 Tanniel Simonian <simonian AT
library.ucr DOT edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few weeks ago I had asked whether Amanda can run primarily on TCP. I am
> unsure whether I was able to describe my problem in great detail.
>
> I'll try again..
>
> To make this short, I am trying to backup a few servers outside my
> physical network and get an error of Host down when Amcheck is performed.
> If I put the servers back on my physical network all is well and
> configured properly.
>
> The set up goes like this: The servers are in a Library at a University
> Campus. I want to backup servers in another department located outside the
> Library's physical network.
>
> There are two routers between the Library (Amanda server site) and the X
> department (client amanda sites). There are no firewalls in place in
> between the routers, host firewalls, or ACLs on the routers to prevent
> communication between the Library and X department.
>
> The routers are Cisco series 6500s, the machines are Dells and Custom
> built servers. The connection between the two departments is at 1 gigabit
> with very little network utilization ~4 to 5%.
>
> The amanda clients are configured properly. The amanda server is
> configured correctly as well and everything works when the machines are on
> the same physical network.
>
> The problem is when they are are different networks.
>
> Is there a problem with Amanda crossing physical networks? I know Amanda
> uses UDP to create an initial check, but I also know that UDP should cross
> networks, unless it's being dropped since the packet size is too small or
> has low priority??
>
> Any comments regarding whether you use amanda across physical networks
> would be greatly appreciated. Also a sample configuration would be
> appreciated.

I run two Amanda installations that are 800 miles apart, and part of
each site's config are clients at the other site (for off-site data
backups without having to physically move any tapes).  The backups
run fine over a VPN between the sites routed over the Internet.  Ping
times between the two are 50-60ms on a good day, and anytime the backups
have failed all other network connections have failed as well.
  There is no difference in the config whether a client is local or
remote.
  Things you may need to check:
Are you using the client's FQDN in your disklist?
Can it be resolved to the proper IP on your server?
Are you using the server's FQDN in your .amandahosts?
Can it be resolved to the proper IP on your client?
Can the two machine ping each other?  If not, you may have routing issues.

Do you see anything in the debug logs on the client?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673