Amanda-Users

Re: Holding disk size misread by amcheck

2005-08-24 04:47:55
Subject: Re: Holding disk size misread by amcheck
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "LaValley, Brian E" <BLaValley AT ALLEGROMICRO DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:20:09 +0200
Paul Bijnens wrote:
LaValley, Brian E wrote:

I have a Fedora Core 3 amanda server. I have specified an nfs mounted
directory for one of the holding disks. Does anyone know why amcheck finds
much less space available on this drive than a command like 'df' does?

You need to explain a little more.  "amcheck" checks only for
free space (at least 64K) n AMANDA_TMPDIR, AMANDA_DBGDIR, and /etc.
"amcheck" does not check space on the disklist entries.
Show the messages that make you that.

Oops, following up on myself.  Still no coffee here, only water.

Holdingdisk is indeed checked by amcheck, sorry.

Two remarks:  NFS is usualy a bad choice for holdingdisk.
Can your network feed the bytes to the tape at tapedrive speed?
Calculate the bandwith needed for the incoming bytes too.
If you cannot feed the bytes fast enough to a tapedrive, the
drive needs to stop/rewind/restart frequently, loosing lots of
capacity, time, and will need replacement very soon.

About the stated capacity: could it be you're somewhere in the
terabytes of free space, and you're overflowing a 32bit long (size
in KB used inside amanda)?

Showing the exact output of the commands still helps a lot.

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *