Amanda-Users

Re: Directory Access Issue

2005-08-23 04:01:14
Subject: Re: Directory Access Issue
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold" <friz AT godshell DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:00:26 -0500
--On Monday, August 22, 2005 23:13:29 -0400 Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold <friz AT
godshell DOT com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm receiving the following in my daily amanda check email :
>
> ERROR: mail2.domain.com: [could not access /home/vpopmail/etc
> (/home/vpopmail/etc): Permission denied]
> ERROR: mail1.domain.com: [could not access /home/vpopmail/etc
> (/home/vpopmail/etc): Permission denied]
>
> I don't see anything really special about that directory ..  I'm not sure why
> permission is denied ??  Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> [friz@mail1 /]$ ls -lad home/
> drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 Aug 12  2004 home/
> [friz@mail1 home]$ ls -lad vpopmail/
> drwxr-x---  9 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 May 16 16:21 vpopmail/
> [friz@mail1 vpopmail]$ ls -lad etc
> drwxr-xr-x  2 vpopmail vchkpw 4096 Jul 18 20:30 etc

/home/vpopmail ccan only be traversed by the vpopmail user and users in the
vchkpw group.  Normally
that wouldn't be an issue with Amanda, since the runtar and rundump executables
are normally suid root
so that tar and dump can read everything.  Check to make sure yours are.

Another less likely possibility (at least for a mail directory) is that it
happens to be an NFS mount
and the root user is being mapped to nobody (or equivalent) due to mount or
export options.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com