Amanda-Users

Re: ssh keys only

2005-08-13 17:21:18
Subject: Re: ssh keys only
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:17:16 +0200
Vicki Stanfield wrote:
Most of our servers are accessible only via ssh with a root key. Does amanda work in such a setup or does the amanda user have to have regular login access? One of my coworkers changed one of our servers to only accept logins via ssh and now amanda doesn't seem to be able to get there and we get the following message:

WARNING: /host/: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?

Actually, the amanda user doesn't ever need to log in; all communication between the server and its clients goes over amanda's own protocol. What amanda needs are a few open TCP and UDP ports between client and server, and a simple host-based authentication in the amanda user's homedirectory, in a file .amandahosts.

Since I gather your backup worked before, I wonder whether your collegue mightn't have installed a firewall at the same time. A quick search in this mailing list's archives will give you a complete solution with iptables, or else just open TCP and UDP between your amanda server and the amanda client in question.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk  * BUF Compagnie * alexj AT buf DOT com
Tel +33-1 42 68 18 28  *  Fax +33-1 42 68 18 29