Amanda-Users

Re: HD backup strategy ?

2005-08-12 13:52:59
Subject: Re: HD backup strategy ?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:38:12 -0400
On Friday 12 August 2005 09:40, FM wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>
>My ibm 35810 died and I will cost use 20000 CA$ to replace it. So I
>thing it's time to switch for HD backups.
>
>Does some of you using HD backup ? if so what is you stategy ?
>How you take backup off-site ?
>
>What kind of hardware are you using ? SCSI or SATA RAID ?
>
>Thanks !

Here, a home site, I'm, using a 200GB atapi drive, with 180GB of it
partitioned for amanda.  Its worked flawlessly for everythng for
about a year. It is not removeable other than by a powerdown & ata133
cable disconnection.  I'd not have an offsite storage place available
anyway.  I'm backing up the working parts of 2 machines & may add a
third if it ever gets to stay on 24/7 like the first 2 do.

Candid opinion:  HD's are far more friendly than tapes when it comes
to recovery operations, and hundreds of times faster for recovery.  I
did not find that tapes (but then I was using DDS2 (spit) tapes too)
were in fact all that dependable, with something getting a tummy ache
at weekly intervals.  I've had no such tummy aches with the HD setup.

BUT:  Quality tapes would have the option of removing for permanent
storage, unlike using a non-removable HD.  If I really thought my
stuff was *that* precious, I'd burn a stack of dvd's once  month.
But, I'd have to justify the cost of the dvd+(or-)r's as an ongoing
expense, something my SS would have to support as I'm just your
typical old fart, half retired, tv chief engineer whose played with
computers since 1977 & refuses to act my age of 70.

Trying to stay in shape, and needing to get it done, I've moved about
4 yards of dirt with a shovel and wheelborrow in the last 3 days
with the temps in the high 80's.   And thats burning about 2 lbs a day
off me that I can well afford to lose, and keeping the sugar in check
too.  But when I'm done, it'll be mowable. Nothings flat in West
Virginia unless you "make it so"...

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: