Amanda-Users

Re: Running Amanda exclusively with TCP

2005-07-23 01:53:59
Subject: Re: Running Amanda exclusively with TCP
From: "Tanniel Simonian" <simonian AT library.ucr DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
Jon LaBadie said:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 06:34:13PM -0700, Tanniel Simonian wrote:
>> Fellow amanda group,
>>
>> I am in a bit of a bind where I am trying to backup servers across
>> different routed networks.
>>
>> I am on a debian system using the amanda-client and amanda-common
>> packages
>> on the client servers and amanda-server (amanda-client and
>> amanda-common)
>> on the backup-server.
>>
>> Amanda has been configured properly on clients and backup server. Amanda
>> has no problems backing up hosts that are on the same network as the
>> backup server.
>>
>> I've confirmed that amanda is up via NMAP -sU -p U:10080 <ip> on those
>> networks. However, Amanda reports the client is down when I run amcheck.
>> (note: hostnames match and I tried configuring amanda to look up IPs. I
>> have also raised the timeout periods to no success and there are no
>> firewalls blocking amanda).
>
> Clarification please.  "no firewalls blocking amanda" -- by this, do you
> mean the three ports between 10080 and 10082 that the install requires?
> Or that there are no firewalls at all?

No firewalls blocking amanda = no in line/software firewalls, access
lists, portsentry, linux route blocking, or tcp wrappers protecting the
client and vice versa the server. However, I will recheck everything
because it never hurts.

To note: When I relocated the client server to the backup server's
network, detection and backups worked without a hitch. So I know the
configuration is correct.

> I ask as the three "10K" ports are needed for the initial contact,
> but other ports are also needed.  The connections needed are described
> in the amanda document "PORT.USAGE

To test out my hypothesis on firewalls etc.., (assuming Amanda was
installed correctly) I established a client machine with iptables blocking
all ports, including ICMP, syn, fin, etc. Amcheck reported host not found.
I then opened the ONE port 10080 UDP on the client via iptables, and
amcheck reported host found + it backed it up.

I have read the PORTS.USAGE documentation and have not found anything in
the documentation that gave me a light bulb as to this problem.

My only assumption is that UDP is not reliable over multiple routers for
amanda to work.. It's just an Assumption.

Keep 'em coming!

Tano