Amanda-Users

Running Amanda exclusively with TCP

2005-07-22 21:49:52
Subject: Running Amanda exclusively with TCP
From: "Tanniel Simonian" <simonian AT library.ucr DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:34:13 -0700 (PDT)
Fellow amanda group,

I am in a bit of a bind where I am trying to backup servers across
different routed networks.

I am on a debian system using the amanda-client and amanda-common packages
on the client servers and amanda-server (amanda-client and amanda-common)
on the backup-server.

Amanda has been configured properly on clients and backup server. Amanda
has no problems backing up hosts that are on the same network as the
backup server.

I've confirmed that amanda is up via NMAP -sU -p U:10080 <ip> on those
networks. However, Amanda reports the client is down when I run amcheck.
(note: hostnames match and I tried configuring amanda to look up IPs. I
have also raised the timeout periods to no success and there are no
firewalls blocking amanda).

I assume UDP traffic across multiple networks can be and is dropped
frequently, but is it enough to disrupt amanda from working in this
scenario? To counteract this, could I run Amanda exclusively on TCP to
guarantee communication between client and server?

Is this a futile cause?

Any assistance is appreciated, otherwise I'll put in a RFP for a
backup-server and tape drive for those seperate networks.

Tano