Amanda-Users

Re: file changed as we read it: strange

2005-07-18 10:46:06
Subject: Re: file changed as we read it: strange
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:30:55 -0400
On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:02:53AM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> This morning, amanda (2.4.5) told me that some files changed during
> the backup. I don't think it actually changed. Why does it mean by
> "changed" ? The file in question was not being written to during
> amanda's backup of the server, that I am sure of.
>
> I'm suspecting a file "last access time" change. Otherwise, a bug in
> tar/amanda ?

I can't believe that tar would compare the actual data contents.

Without looking at tar's code for other approaches, I suspect that
tar checks the file's inode contents before and after copying the
file.  If this is the case time stamp, file owner/group id, size,
or permission changes could all trigger the message.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)