Amanda-Users

Re: many dumps in parallel

2005-06-19 10:51:26
Subject: Re: many dumps in parallel
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:44:09 +0200
Hello, Vects, you wrote:

>>Actually, that's the default behaviour of amanda: doing as much as
>>possible in parallel.  Why do you think it is not working that way?
> I did grep on amstatus output, see below
>
> [amanda@backup ~]$ amstatus Full1 | grep dumping

Hint: There is the option --dumping ... so you might use

[amanda@backup ~]$ amstatus --dumping Full1

But that's not the topic here.

>>If you want more than one dump running on one host in parallel, you
>>should increase maxdumps for that DLE, and set a spindle number on
>>each DLE.
> Actually I want dump to backup different computers at once and then I'll
> enable spindle feature. I'm running amanda-2.4.4p2-3 (FC2) on server and
> amanda-2.4.[2-4] on clients. Should I upgrade to 2.4.5?

You don't have to upgrade to get parallel dumps working, but in general
it is always a good idea to use the recent stable version.

As Paul noted, check your settings for the parameter "maxdumps", as well
as the setting of "inparallel".

The default value of maxdumps is 1, so only 1 dumper per client is run
at one time, this is the behavior you currently see in your installation.

Stefan G. Weichinger
sgw AT amanda DOT org