Amanda-Users

Re: Seeking message clarification.

2005-06-04 03:50:14
Subject: Re: Seeking message clarification.
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:34:18 -0600

--On June 4, 2005 1:35:49 AM -0400 Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:

Does taper adjust the reported number of filemarks for the
tape header and trailer files it might write to the tape?

I.e. is "fm" the number of DLEs written or is it off by
1 or 2 for the header and trailer files?

Well, fm 0 == the AMANDA label header. fm 1 is the first dump. so if you pop in an AMANDA tape and do mt fsf 1 (or the equivalent on your platform) you'll be at the first dump. Now if you amtape <CONF> ... you must mt rewind;mt fsf 1 or you'll end up on the 2nd instead of the 1st fm (since amtape reads the label and doesn't rewind the tape when it's done) AMANDA will always rewind and check the label before doing anything to a tape so she knows, but if you're writing scripts to directly access them then you'll need to worry about this, as I do for prepping and writing my offsite copies of Level 0's.

--
Undocumented Features quote of the moment...
"It's not the one bullet with your name on it that you