Amanda-Users

Re: Pre/Post backup scripts on clients ?

2005-05-06 10:50:52
Subject: Re: Pre/Post backup scripts on clients ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 10:27:16 -0400
On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 01:06:27PM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Hi, Peter,
>
> on Freitag, 06. Mai 2005 at 10:36 you wrote to amanda-users:
>
> PM> I dont like to compile amanda on my own. This is why I pay for a
> PM> Linux distribution like SuSE where they take care of fiddling around
> PM> with all the cross-dependencies of hundreds of great Open Source
> PM> projects to make them work as a consistent system.
>
> A compromise might be using SRPMs and editing the spec-file there.
>
> PM> O.k. this may be not the problem of the maintainer of a single
> PM> project but anyway I think the path and name of a program used
> PM> by an executable that is NOT part of the project should be
> PM> configurable for the administrator without compiling ....
>
> If the wrapper around gnutar behaves like gnutar you might also
> replace the binary with the wrapper ... no compiling needed then. But
> you get other side-effects maybe ...

A way out notion would be to have the amanda installation put,
and use, a set of simple wrappers in libexec that call the
configured-in programs (dump, xfsdump, guntar, ...).  They
could be as simple as:

  #!/bin/sh

  exec <configured-in-path> "$@"
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)