Amanda-Users

Re: Pre/Post backup scripts on clients ?

2005-05-05 00:17:31
Subject: Re: Pre/Post backup scripts on clients ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 00:09:18 -0400
On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 10:51:10PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> Is there a way to call some sort of script before and after the backup
> begins on the clients ? I want to make sure my oracle hot backups are
> completed before I start backuping my clients. I also need to shut
> down the database for cold backups and restart it after the backup is
> done.

Crontab entry calling amdump can be a shell script calling your
stop and restart commands wrapped around the call to amdump.

If that is too coarse you can replace your actual backup program
(some dump or gnutar) with a similar wrapper that differentiates
which DLE is being called and if it called for estimate phase
or backup phase.  Then the stop and start commands only need
be wrapped around one shorter instance.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)