Amanda-Users

Ways how to back up Windows machines

2005-04-30 19:30:33
Subject: Ways how to back up Windows machines
From: Lukas Kubin <kubin AT opf.slu DOT cz>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 01:09:09 +0200 (CEST)
Hi, I'm running Amanda on Linux server, using the file driver. Mostly I'm
backing up remote Windows machines and Novell Netware's exported CIFS
shares.

I have few questions:

1. How does Amanda find which files changed since last full dump?
Does it use some checksums? How does it find when doing Linux filesystem
tar backup and how when using smbclient?

2. What is a better way of backing up Windows machines:
- to mount the Windows share locally and back up the mountpoint, or
- to use the smbclient support of Amanda?

3. What is the estimate size reported by amstatus? Is it the total
diskspace occupied on the backup client or is it just the difference
(increment) to be backed up at the current dumplevel?

Thank you.

lukas kubin