Amanda-Users

gnutar and sendsize

2005-04-29 08:01:58
Subject: gnutar and sendsize
From: Kee Gohil <kee AT ksl.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:53:55 +0100
Hi

Bear with me on this. I've inherited a system to look after and I'm new to Amanda.

I'm using gnutar to backup a ~50Gb filesystem. Unfortunately it won't backup due to..

/home lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than tape, but cannot incremental dump new disk]

I have compression set on in the dumptype configuration as follows

define dumptype comp-user-tar {
 program "GNUTAR"
 comment "partitions dumped with tar"
 options compress-fast, index, exclude-list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
 priority medium
}

The file system should compress to around 17Gb and will fit on the tape no problem. I had a look at the sendsize report and it showed that during the size estimate, it didn't use compression.

sendsize: argument list: /bin/tar --create --file /dev/null --directory /home --one-file-system --listed-incremental /var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/fs0_home_0.new --sparse --ignore-failed-read --totals .

Total bytes written: 49292472320 (46GB, 46MB/s)

I believe that it thinks that the size will be 46Gb which will not fit the tape.

Is there a way to bypass this or force compression during sendsize? Is my dumptype configuration correct?

Thanks

Kee