Amanda-Users

largest fit peculiarities

2005-04-28 17:10:15
Subject: largest fit peculiarities
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:54:28 -0400
My current setup is an LTO1 tape drive that I wouldn't even come close to
filling on a nightly basis. I get right around the 100GB tape size in about
6 or 7 days, so I leave previous tapes in for about a week, letting files
build up on the holding disk, and then load new tapes once a week letting
autoflush take care of it, or if I've forgotten and gone over 100GB, I'll
run an amflush by hand.

I noticed today that the largestfit taperalgo wasn't doing what I expected
it to. Below are the relevent snippet from the mail report, and the contents
of my dump directory:

   FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
     bing.math. /var lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]

   NOTES:
     taper: tape Dailies09 kb 104234048 fm 114 writing file: No space left
       on device

So we wrote about 1GB of data before running out of tape.

   [root@bing root]# ls -l /dumps/Dailies/20050428/
   total 6773656
   -rw-------    1 amanda   disk     651761587 Apr 28 01:12
     bing.math.ohiou.edu._export.3
   -rw-------    1 amanda   disk     507741725 Apr 28 01:24
     bing.math.ohiou.edu._export_profiles.5
   -rw-------    1 amanda   disk     2457299460 Apr 28 01:30
     bing.math.ohiou.edu._var.0
   -rw-------    1 amanda   disk     474850788 Apr 28 01:07
     eric.math.ohiou.edu._var.0
   -rw-------    1 amanda   disk     555816686 Apr 28 01:05
     euclid.math.ohiou.edu._.1
   -rw-------    1 amanda   disk     1700676298 Apr 28 00:56
     turing.math.ohiou.edu._var.0
   -rw-------    1 amanda   disk     581250639 Apr 28 01:08
     young.math.ohiou.edu._home.0

The dump it failed on was bing /var, which is the largest image here,
however I would have expected amanda to know there was only about 1GB of
space left on the device, so it should have done something smaller. If I
were amanda, I would have said that bing /var and turing /var were too big
at 2.4 and 1.7GB respectively, and tried the 650MB bing /export.

Obviously I am not amanda, and that is not what "she" tried to do, so can
anyone enlighten me? What is the difference between largest and largestfit
taperalgos?

Thanks,
Matt

--