Amanda-Users

Re: Is the Dell Powervault 132T a changer device?

2005-04-27 20:22:51
Subject: Re: Is the Dell Powervault 132T a changer device?
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: Carlos Scott <cscott AT mct.gov DOT ve>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:16:42 -0600

--On Wednesday, April 27, 2005 15:03 -0400 Carlos Scott <cscott AT mct.gov DOT ve> wrote:

Hello all,

It's the first time i try to setup Amanda and i'm a little confused.
I don't think i got the changer device idea right. Does the Dell
Powervault 132T Tape Library qualify as a changer device?
I thought so but the mtx command tells me otherwise:

[root@orion DailySet1]# /usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg1 inquiry
Product Type: *Tape Drive*
Vendor ID: 'IBM     '
Product ID: 'ULTRIUM-TD2     '
Revision: '37RH'
Attached Changer: No

I want to backup around 6 servers using that unit. My plans are to use
one tape for all servers per day. Is that a right approach?
Please if someone could point me in the right direction i'd be really
thankfull.

You should have an sg device for the changer mechanism itself. Here my changer ends up being /dev/sg2 under Linux.

Cheers!

--
GPG/PGP --> 0xE736BD7E 5144 6A2D 977A 6651 DFBE 1462 E351 88B9 E736 BD7E