Amanda-Users

Re: your mail

2005-04-27 20:13:52
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:54:17 -0400
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:38:51PM -0400, McDonagh, Joe wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to get Amanda going on a RedHat ES 3 box, but I am
> having this same issue addressed on a message board when trying to back
> up a directory that is remote via NFS:
>
> "...I was then able to do an amcheck, and it succeeded. Doing an amdump
> still
> fails however. Looking into the log file (sendsize.-----.debug) it
> indicated that
> amdump is not receiving the size information (presumably from sendsize
> module)
> that it needs to complete the tar...."
>

> http://www.mail-archive.com/amanda-users AT amanda DOT org/msg23489.html
>
> The responses say it's a problem with GNU tar 1.13, and to use 1.13-25,
> however that is the version that the redhat box is running. What am I
> missing?

The reason why you have not gotten size information.  :)

There are many reasons why you might not get a valid response.
The version of gtar might have been involved in the message board
posters problem and have no relation to your problem.

There are probably other indications what was happening if you
did deeper into those log files/reports.  Both on client and
server.

BTW one common problem for large DLE's is getting the various
timeouts setup properly.  Maybe the estimate was just taking
too darn long and the server gave up waiting.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)