Amanda-Users

Re: Holding Space Size and autoflush

2005-04-26 18:55:41
Subject: Re: Holding Space Size and autoflush
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:39:28 -0400
On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 04:15:47PM -0400, Kuas wrote:

> Back to the VTape concept, since the VTape is on the same disk as the
> holding disk. I don't see any reason why it has to store it temporarily
> first to the holdingdisk area? Can anybody see the drawback to turn
> holding-disk off (set to "0")

Don't set it to 0, just don't define it.
Comment out all holding disk info in amanda.conf.

> and write all the dumps from the client
> straight to the vtape right away and having the parameter "inparallel=4"
> so that it will be able to service 4 dump at the same time? The previous
> case, after writing to the holding disk, it will have to schedule the
> flush.

Modularization my good man.

The part of amanda dumping the data does not know where they
are going to be stored.  That is the taper's responsibility.
It has only one stream regardless of the number of dumpers.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)