Amanda-Users

Re: Exclude list and disklist

2005-04-21 16:14:22
Subject: Re: Exclude list and disklist
From: Kuas <ku4s AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:58:58 -0400
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 at 12:39pm, Kuas wrote
>

>>I setup the back-up so that all excluded list are in
>>/var/lib/amanda/exclude.txt on each machine, so that I can use a general
>>dump-type. But I haven't been able to get it work. For example, I backed
>>up all the /var/spool/mail for every user (the emails are in 1 file),
>>except: A and B. I put in the exclude.txt on that machine:
>>/var/spool/mail/A and /var/spool/mail/B. This doesn't work, I wonder if
>>they're absolute path. In the dumptype, I put:
>>

>Exclude paths are relative.  So, if your DLE is "/var/spool/mail", you'd
>have to exclude "./A" and "./B".

Got it.
Now, In a situation I want to give flexibility to users, that they are
the one that knows if a directory needs to be excluded or backup to be
more efficient in the backup process. From the howto and some trial I
can specify in the dumptype, instead of the absolute path to the exclude
file, but just the name of the file:

exclude list "exclude.list"

So each user needs to create this file and has full authority to change
it. The effect I saw (from amcheck) is that it will try to find that the
file in each of the DLE that uses that dumptype. But the problem I saw,
when there is a problem like the file doesn't exist. That will stop all
backup processes or at least for that DLE. Has anybody else seen this,
or it's just normal behavior when there's a problem, they just stop the
backup. Is the syntax of that exclude behavior is prohibited. Has
anybody tried doing similiar purpose like this before? Would there be a
better way to do it?

Thanks,
Kuas.