Amanda-Users

Re: Restart back at tape 0038

2005-04-19 06:27:49
Subject: Re: Restart back at tape 0038
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:17:12 +0200
Vicki Stanfield wrote:
> now there is a 20GB
> dump in my holding area and amanda has repeatedly tried flush it to tape
> and flushed nothing to the tape.
[...]
> I am getting ready to split up my amanda config to prevent the problem
> in the future, although truthfully, I do not understand how this problem
> arose. I am investigating and will likely have a question about it in
> the future.

I understand your 20GB dump is slightly larger than your tape capacity?
I observed the same problem twice already.  amanda would try to flush
the huge dump, fail, re-try on the next tape (with autoflush set,
possibly on the next day), essentially blocking all other backup
activity.  If that's what you are seeing, so am I.

(Obviously, splitting thing up into pieces much smaller than the tape
size, will tremendously help in this case.  If only users could learn
not to generate or move hundreds of GB a day...)

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29