Amanda-Users

Problems with error messages at the first hurdle after running amtapetype

2005-04-14 07:00:30
Subject: Problems with error messages at the first hurdle after running amtapetype
From: Chuck Amadi <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:54:09 +0100
Hi again

I have a problem running my amanda test.

Note that I did run amtapetype tha produced the following .

myserver:/local/sw/amanda/DailySet7 # /usr/sbin/amtapetype -f /dev/st0
Writing 512 Mbyte   compresseable data:  40 sec
Writing 512 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  200 sec
WARNING: Tape drive has hardware compression enabled
Estimated time to write 2 * 1024 Mbyte: 800 sec = 0 h 13 min
wrote 504561 32Kb blocks in 1543 files
wrote 524508 32Kb blocks in 1604 files in 9358 seconds (short write)
wrote 505789 32Kb blocks in 3103 files in 12015 seconds (short write)
define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
    length 17015 mbytes
    filemark 399 kbytes
    speed 1570 kps
}

So I know I have to disable the hardware compression but the mt command
doesn't fix the issue as it states it's a read-only filesystem and it
dosen't make any difference when I run chmod og+w and mt -f /dev/st0
datcompression 0

I have tried the mailing archives and gooogling but to no avail.

When I run amlabel I also get the folowing>
myserver:/usr/sbin # su amanda -c /usr/sbin/amlabel DailySet1
Usage: /usr/sbin/amlabel [-f] <conf> <label> [slot <slot-number>]
myserver:/usr/sbin #

I am using the default amanda <conname> as follows
/etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf

I have checkecd /usr/sbin/amcheck which has permissions that root and
disk own the utility

# -rwsr-x---   1 root   disk      189134 Jul  1  2004 amcheck
When I run amcheck command here's my output.

myserever:/usr/sbin # /usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1
amcheck: running as user "root" instead of "amanda"
myserever:/usr/sbin # /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1
amdump: must be run as user amanda, not root
myserver:/usr/sbin # su amanda -c /usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1
could not open conf file "/etc/amanda/amanda.conf": No such file or
directory
amgetconf: errors processing config file "/etc/amanda/amanda.conf"

I do not have a <configname> /etc/amanda/amanda/amanda.conf
I copied the examples amanda.conf and disklist to /etc/amanda/DailySet1
dir which I have chmod 750 to make writtable.

Also my /var/lib/amanda/log reads - FATAL taper errors processing config
file "/etc/amanda/amanda/amanda.conf"

And as I aleady siad I haven't got /etc/amanda/amanda/amanda.conf I
don't expect to create this as mine is aleady set.

Is there away to uninstall I will use Yast2 to uninstall and start again
as I made my real amanda data in another dir scheme but just want to
setup a amanda test. Thus rollback as I am hitting a brick wall.

Cheers

--
Unix/ Linux Systems Administrator

The Surgical Material Testing Laboratory (SMTL),
Princess of Wales Hospital
Coity Road
Bridgend,
United Kingdom, CF31 1RQ.