Amanda-Users

Running a amanda test and in my logs - FATAL taper errors processing config file

2005-04-14 05:49:46
Subject: Running a amanda test and in my logs - FATAL taper errors processing config file
From: Chuck Amadi <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:44:20 +0100
Hi all

I am running a amanda test using SuSE SLES 9 .

Unfortunately before reading all the doc's and using a howto I run
amtapetype here is the output which I used ( I now know I should just
used the DDS-4 generic info already provided in the amanda.conf.

The output as below.

myserver:/local/sw/amanda/DailySet7 # /usr/sbin/amtapetype -f /dev/st0
Writing 512 Mbyte   compresseable data:  40 sec
Writing 512 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  200 sec
WARNING: Tape drive has hardware compression enabled
Estimated time to write 2 * 1024 Mbyte: 800 sec = 0 h 13 min
wrote 504561 32Kb blocks in 1543 files
wrote 524508 32Kb blocks in 1604 files in 9358 seconds (short write)
wrote 505789 32Kb blocks in 3103 files in 12015 seconds (short write)

define tapetype unknown-tapetype {

   comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"

   length 17015 mbytes

   filemark 399 kbytes

   speed 1570 kps

}
mysever:/local/sw/amanda/DailySet7 #

When I checkeg the logs in /var/lib/amanda I got the following error
message and I do not have a /etc/amanda/amanda/amanda.conf file mine is
/etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf.

FATAL taper errors processing config file

Thus I have tried to turn of hardware compression running mt command
mtserver:/dev # mt -f /dev/st0 datcompression 0
mt: /dev/st0: Read-only file system

Next I run the following as Root
chmod 750 /dev/st0
ls -al st0
myserver:/dev # ls -al st0
crwxr-x---  1 root disk 9, 0 Jun 30  2004 st0

Tried  mt -f /dev/st0 datcompression 0 and again it is still a read-only
filesystem So how can I disable hardware compression and fix the this
Fatal error that it has produced in the amanda log.

Cheers

Chuck

--
Unix/ Linux Systems Administrator

The Surgical Material Testing Laboratory (SMTL),
Princess of Wales Hospital
Coity Road
Bridgend,
United Kingdom, CF31 1RQ.