Amanda-Users

Re: Tar versions

2005-04-11 15:26:39
Subject: Re: Tar versions
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:15:39 +0200
Frank Smith wrote:
Is there a list of known working/broken tar versions?  I remember
discussions about versions < 1.13.19 not building indexes correctly
(and was bit by that myself when I first started), and I saw some
remarks about the latest (at some time) version not working.
  Just asking because in the last week Debian Sarge is now distributing
tar 1.14.  My amanda at work is built to use a local version, but my
home setup isn't.  I intend to test it with some restores, but if there
are some subtle changes I might not notice until it's too late ;-).

My current knowledge:

1.13.19 is good.  However it still sets return code 2 for some
    infrequent conditions even with --ignore-failed-read option.
    This results in amanda thinking the total archive is bad,
    and drops the complete archive.  Those conditions are very rare
    on a quiet filesystem.

1.13.25: no problems found (yet).

1.13.9x  have changed the format of "tar -t", resulting in amrecover
    not able to use the indexes.

1.14.x writes good archives, but when restoring, it has trouble
    with sparse files; the sparse file itself, and *all* files after it
    cannot be read anymore.  But you can read the archive with a good
    tar version (i.e. the tar images produced are fine).

1.15.1 no problems found (yet).   I'm using this version on most of
    my clients since january this year, and have already done
    successful restore too.