Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore problem, headers ok but no data

2005-01-10 16:37:15
Subject: Re: amrestore problem, headers ok but no data
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:19:45 -0500
On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:48:42AM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> The following (just scripted, with commentary added) is a little long
> and rather un-good.

> Probing the drive I find a block size of 32768 again.
>
> samar 25# mt -f /dev/sdlt2 setblksz 131072
>
> samar 26# /usr/local/sbin/amlabel -f samar SAMAR08
> labeling tape in slot 7 (/dev/sdlt2):
> rewinding, reading label, reading label: Invalid argument
> rewinding, writing label SAMAR08
> amlabel: writing label: Invalid argument
>
> Have we hit some sort of amanda buffer size limit ?
> Something that didn't error during the write but did
> during the read ?

This is not too surprising to me.

A tape with a blocksize of 132k will accept a write of 32k and
simply pad it to the required size.  No errors.

But on read back, it will not allow a read of 32k when the
blocksize of the taped data  is 132k.  That could be your read error.

In recent versions, amanda can work with blocksizes other than 32k.
I forget if it is a configure option needed during the build or
a parameter that can be set in amanda.conf.  I've never used it.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)