Amanda-Users

Re: Using Amanda to Backup Amanda

2004-11-09 04:53:12
Subject: Re: Using Amanda to Backup Amanda
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:47:26 +0100
Hi, Gaby Vanhegan,

on Montag, 08. November 2004 at 17:40 you wrote to amanda-users:

GV> Hi,

GV> I have a running Amanda server which is quite happily backing up several
GV> gigs of data on several machines (not a huge setup by any measure).  I
GV> was wondering if there are any special provisions that I need, or
GV> disklist entries, to back up the Amanda server.

GV> I'd like to keep a backup of my index files, and the whole amanda
GV> folder.  What's the best way to go about this?

GV> One thought I had was to tar up a copy of the folder after every run of
GV> Amanda and drop that in a location that is going to be backed up after
GV> the next run.  Is this sensible, or should I just add the amanda folder
GV> to the disklist?

There is a project called "ADR - Amanda Disaster Recovery" which was
once started to provide all the necessary infos one needs to rebuild
the AMANDA-server quickly (indexes and stuff).

This project fell asleep long ago, it never developed more than one
small shell-script ...

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/adr/adr/adr_backup.sh

I once modified and extended a script called frankenbackup.sh to build
up a first draft.

This script is able to pack several infos into a time-stamped archive
which you can then mail/rsync/ftp/scp/whatever.

Currently the projectpages of ADR don't work very well, I plan to do
some work on this soon, as I will take over maintenance of ADR soon
(the current maintainer plans to hand things over to me).

Please see the mentioned script and let me know your thoughts.

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger