Amanda-Users

Re: Using Amanda to Backup Amanda

2004-11-09 04:27:51
Subject: Re: Using Amanda to Backup Amanda
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Inaki Sanchez <isanchez AT unav DOT es>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 04:20:08 -0500
On Tuesday 09 November 2004 03:00, Inaki Sanchez wrote:
>I use rsync to copy all the amanda folder to another server, just
> after amanda finishes her work.
>
>Regards,

And I use a wrapper script that tars up the $CONFDIR and $INDEXDIR and
appends them to the backup.  When I used tapes, I had to reduce the
tapesize by about 400 megs to compensate, but with vtapes, I can just
put them in that dir and go.  Amanda isn't aware of them, doesn't
even kill them, so my scripts have to rm -f them before writing the
new ones.

That way, if I have to recover, the first thing I'd go get from the
latest backups vtape are those two files and the /home dir, at which
point I've restored everything amanda needs to do a bare metal
recovery of everything once I've gone into
the /home/amanda/current_version_build directory and have run a make
install again.  Humm, I should switch the /home dir to always-full
just to cover that.

>--
>Inaki Sanchez
>Centro de Proceso de Datos
>Universidad de Navarra
>
>mailto:isanchez AT unav DOT es
>http://www.unav.es
>
>Gaby Vanhegan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a running Amanda server which is quite happily backing up
>> several gigs of data on several machines (not a huge setup by any
>> measure).  I was wondering if there are any special provisions
>> that I need, or disklist entries, to back up the Amanda server.
>>
>> I'd like to keep a backup of my index files, and the whole amanda
>> folder.  What's the best way to go about this?
>>
>> One thought I had was to tar up a copy of the folder after every
>> run of Amanda and drop that in a location that is going to be
>> backed up after the next run.  Is this sensible, or should I just
>> add the amanda folder to the disklist?
>>
>> Gaby

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: