Amanda-Users

Re: debugging chg-scsi

2004-11-04 17:22:12
Subject: Re: debugging chg-scsi
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Erik Anderson <erikerik AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:18:12 -0500
On Thursday 04 November 2004 16:40, Erik Anderson wrote:
>On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:36:05 -0600, Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
>wrote:
>> Maybe, mabe not.  Depends on the user/group of the devices and the
>> user/group Amanda runs as.
>> Also, while sg is the proper device to use to control the changer,
>> it doesn't understand tape commands like rewind, so make sure your
>> tape device is referencing an st device (of course, your kernel
>> also needs scsi tape support compiled in or the module loaded or
>> you won't have any st devices).
>
>Okay - well I'm getting conflicting messages here.  I had previously
>been using /dev/nst0 to access the tape drive.  That wasn't working,
>so someone here told me I should use the sg* nodes to access the
>drive.  So that's when I switched to /dev/sg2.  I changed the dev
>entry in chg-scsi.conf back to /dev/nst0 and this is what I'm still
>getting:
>
>amanda@lpdlnx00 LPD $ amcheck LPD
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 36514756 KB disk space available, that's
> plenty amcheck-server: could not get changer info: could not read
> result from "/usr/libexec/chg-scsi"
>
>-Erik

While its probably all fubar for your setup, here is a known
working chg-scsi.conf from my old setup using a DDS2 drive in
a Seagate 4586N changer (4 tape)
----------------------
number_configs 1
eject  0 # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep  60 # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax 100  # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
scsitapedev /dev/sg0 # test entry per Jean-Louis request
changerdev  /dev/sg1
debuglevel 9:0
#
# Next comes the data for drive 0
#
config  0
drivenum 0
dev  /dev/nst0 # the device that is used for the tapedrive 0
startuse 0 # The slots associated with the drive 0
enduse  3 #
statfile  /usr/local/etc/amanda/tape-slot  # The file where the actual slot is
stored
#cleancart 3 # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 0 is located
#cleanfile /usr/local/etc/amanda/tape-clean # The file where the cleanings are
recorded
usagecount /usr/local/etc/amanda/totaltime

# This is the end

Maybe this will help define what might be wrong with yours?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: