Amanda-Users

Re: Difference between amcheck and amdump(planner)

2004-11-01 16:07:58
Subject: Re: Difference between amcheck and amdump(planner)
From: Gavin Henry <ghenry AT suretecsystems DOT com>
To: Per olof Ljungmark <peo AT intersonic DOT se>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:03:20 +0100

On Monday 01 Nov 2004 20:43, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to figure out why "amcheck" returns OK every time for a
> specific client but the actual dump fails in the planner stage:
> planner: [Request to <client FQDN> timed out.]

Hi Per,

Lifted from:

http://www.amanda.org/docs/manpages/amanda.8.html

"ctimeout int
    Default: 30 seconds. Maximum amount of time that amcheck will wait for
each client host.

dtimeout int
    Default: 1800 seconds. Amount of idle time per disk on a given client that
a dumper running from within amdump will wait before it fails with a data
timeout error.

etimeout int
    Default: 300 seconds. Amount of time per disk on a given client that the
planner step of amdump will wait to get the dump size estimates. For
instance, with the default of 300 seconds and four disks on client A, planner
will wait up to 20 minutes for that machine. A negative value will be
interpreted as a total amount of time to wait per client instead of per
disk."

I know these won't have changed, but what are yours?

> This started when the client was upgraded from FreeBSD 4.10 to 5.3RC1,
> but strangest of all is that SOME dumps work and I cannot for my life
> undertand why. No changes where made to the amanda server or general
> configuration.
>
> Is there a way I could simulate an actual dump instead of using amcheck?

Yes, define a dumptype, also on the abive link.

define dumptype testing {
    comment "Test backup, no compression, do indexing, no recording"
    normal
    index no
    record no
}

Then change in your disklist to something like:

suretec /var testing

> There are no traces on the client in /tmp from the actual run but the
> amcheck logs are all OK.
> The "sysctl net.inet.udp.maxdgram=63535" parameter is set.
>
> Suggestions?

Above :-)

> Per olof

- --