Amanda-Users

Re: Fedora upgrade Amanda slowed

2004-10-29 15:52:35
Subject: Re: Fedora upgrade Amanda slowed
From: Jonathan Swaby <jfs10 AT bnext.stucen.gatech DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:45:14 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi, Gavin,
>
> on Freitag, 29. Oktober 2004 at 14:24 you wrote to amanda-users:
>
> GH> Hi, I'm http://FedoraNEWS.ORG/ghenry, so I like to think I know a bit
> GH> about Fedora :-)
>
> GH> IIRC, from RH9 to FC1 the file protocol changed from smbfs to cifs, and
> GH> all sorts of problems started to happen with samba.
>
> cifs and smbfs are filesystems (in fact kernel-modules), they are not
> used by smbclient, which is used by AMANDA.
>
> These would only affect you if you mount Windows-shares via smbfs or
> cifs and dump them via dump or tar.

Just using smbclient.

> GH> I would upgrade to FC2 if at all possible.
>
> Without further knowledge I would also think this.
Yeap, this is part of the plan.

> Jonathan, has anything changed in the smb.conf of that machine?
> Maybe the update-procedure has modified this file.

Nope, the file appears to be unchanged.

> Also the contents of /var/log/samba might tell you more.
Nothing in the log. I assume this is because I am not starting smbd.

I have tried to force smbclient to use port 139, but that does not
seem to be the answer either. In googling a bit more, I ran into a
thread or two that stated that port 445 transactions are slower than
using 139. As I said, this did not help.

Hopefully, I will get a chance to upgrade to FC2 on Monday.

Thanks Jonathan Swaby